2023 Mississippi Valley Beekeepers Association/Illinois State Beekeepers Association Conference
2023 Photo Contest
CHAIRPERSON: Kristen Garrett, (217)779-2675, Kristengarrett17@gmail.com
ENTRY FEE: Five Dollars ($5.00) per exhibit
ARRIVAL TIME: Friday, July 14th, 2023, from 7:00 AM until 10:00 AM. LOCATION: Oakley-Lindsay Center 300 Civic Center Plaza #237, Quincy, IL 62301 JUDGING: Friday, July 14th, 2023, beginning at 10:15 AM
RELEASE TIME: All entries will remain in the show area for public viewing after the judging. All entries will remain on display until 2:00 PM Saturday, July 15th, after which exhibitors may pick up their entries.
JUDGES: Brutz English, Pamela Carter, Kelsey Gerhardt, et al.
SHOW SECRETARY: Kelly Kern
Judges will be evaluating entries on the following: Subject Matter, Aesthetic Appeal, Technical Proficiency, Creativity, and Originality.
*A white index card with description/title of the image(s) must accompany each exhibit. This will be provided upon check in of exhibit(s), completed by the exhibitor, and returned at time of entry. (One (1) index card per entry.)
General Rules of the Photo Contest
1. The photo contest is open to any attendee of the 2023 Conference who wishes to enter one or more photos, except as otherwise specifically provided for herein.
2. Entries must be received between 7:00 AM until 10:00 AM Friday, July 14th, 2023. NO ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THIS DEADLINE.
3. Each exhibitor must sign an affidavit stating that each photo he/she submits was produced by the exhibitor within the parameters of the rules set forth.
4. If an instance arises where the photo exhibit may qualify for multiple categories, the Exhibitor shall have the right to choose which category to enter their photo; but may not choose more than one category for the same photo. Exhibitor's selection will not be overturned by the Judge(s); and said exhibit will be judged based on the criteria set forth in the selected category by the Exhibitor.
5. Double entries are not allowed – The same photo in more than one category. If a double entry should occur, both photos will be disqualified from respective categories.
6. Once photos have been accepted into the competition, they may not be touched, adjusted, or altered in any way.
7. Copyright of any submitted artwork, literary work, or other media remains with the
exhibitor, but the MVBA/ISBA Conference has the unrestricted right to publish images of submitted artwork, literary work, or other media in its newsletter, on its website, and via social media outlets, plus unrestricted rights to use the same in any related material for PR purposes.
8. Photo exhibits will be required to be printed out as an 8x10 photo and mounted, matted, or framed so that the photograph can stand upright for display, with a tabletop appropriate easel back provided by the exhibitor. These additions should complement the exhibitor’s photography work.
9. Exhibits must be entered into the photo competition unmarked or unidentifiable in any way, except that which is provided by the Show Secretary(s).
10. An index card will be provided per entry of photo to be affixed to each exhibit. The exhibitor shall be responsible for completing exhibit title/description at time of entry drop off.
11. By signing the contest entry form each Exhibitor affirms the inclusion of any image, likeness, or work of any individual other than the Exhibitor, portrayed in or made part of any exhibit, was done so with the prior, informed consent of said individual, and that each exhibit is submitted with the full consent of all parties.
12. Photo entries and any other items not retrieved by the deadline posted for pick-up, Saturday July 15th, shall be deemed abandoned, and shall be donated to Mississippi Valley Beekeepers Association for future use in educational purposes or disposal. Neither the MVBA or ISBA is responsible or liable for any items left after the pick-up deadline.
Prizes and Awards
It is with the best intentions that ribbons will be given in all photo categories to a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner. However, to receive an award that entry must be worthy of placement. Entry into a class does not guarantee an award. The decisions of the judges are final. Exhibitors found willfully cheating, or purposefully altering or disfiguring an entry for the purpose of influencing the validity of judging will be disqualified from the contest, as well as from future photo contests sponsored by the MVBA for a period of not less than two (2) years.
For more information or questions concerning this contest please reach out to Kristengarrett17@gmail.com